Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Brown Sugar Apples

I love my slow cooker! This is the one I have:
(Source) 5 quarts of wonderful!
If you don't have one, please invest in one. It's one of those things you don't think you necessarily need, but once you get one you don't know how you lived without it. To entice you, here's another recipe for a slow cooker: Brown Sugar Apples. I found this recipe on Fake It Frugal which gives tips on how to save money making knock-offs of everything from Bisquick to Windex.

You'll need 3 pounds of apples (I've made this with several different kinds and they all tasted yummy so just go with your favorite), 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (not the fresh stuff). You'll also need 4 Tablespoons corn starch which I forgot to include in the picture.

Peel, core, and slice your apples.

Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker, adding the water last to help dissolve the sugar.

Cook on low for 4 hours stirring once every hour.

(Note: This is where my computer or memory card or camera--in other words something complicated I don't understand--lost my pictures. You'll just have to rely on my instructions for now. I'm SO sorry!)

Turn off slow cooker and let cool. Separate the apples from the sauce and place the sauce in a sauce pan. Add the corn starch and cook over med-high until thickened. It should coat the back of a spoon.

Add the sauce back to the apples and let cool. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools. You can put the apples in plastic freezer bags to keep for pies or anything else that calls for apple pie filling and it's so yummy on its own! Stay tuned to find out what I did with mine!

1 comment: